Make your holiday pumpkin-pie a brain-healthy magnesium-pie. Try this "cognitively-correct" dish for holiday dinner.
Learn about Magnesium's Importance to Brain Health
- Serves: 8
- Total Time: 14 hours
|Ingredients:||Magnesium per ingredient|
|One 9” frozen pie crust, unbaked||22.7 mg|
|One 4 lb sugar pumpkin||217.6 mg|
|2 large eggs||12 mg|
|1 cup brown sugar, packed||19.8 mg|
|1 tablespoon whole wheat flour||10.4 mg|
|1/2 teaspoon salt||0 mg|
|1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice||7.5 mg|
|1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk||91.2 mg|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pumpkin halves, flesh side down onto baking sheet.
- Bake pumpkin until soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove pumpkin and let cool until it can be handled comfortably.
- Scrape pumpkin flesh from peel and puree flesh in a blender.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool pie and refrigerate overnight.